The Archbishops of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia have announced that Archdeacon Waitohiariki Quayle will become Bishop of Upoko o Te Ika, making her the first Māori woman in history to be elected bishop.
• RNZ: Waitohiariki Quayle is the world's first Māori woman bishop
• TVNZ: World's first Māori woman bishop elected
• Māori development minister Nanaia Mahuta congratulates Bishop-elect Wai
• Grassroots service earns bishop's mitre
Te Hui Amorangi o Te Upoko o Te Ika has announced they will hold an Electoral College to discern who will serve as their next Bishop.
In May this year, Colenso Eramiha and his cousin May Lloyd shot off to Crete. In a month's time, Colenso will be heading back there again. Here's a story about what he found last time – and what he hopes to find this trip.
Saturday saw a first in the setting right of the dispossession of te iwi Maori. Hundreds turned out in Tauranga to witness an apology, not by the Crown, but by this church for the 1866 actions of one of its mission agencies.
• Bishop Andrew Hedge's sorrow
• Dr Alistair Reese explains the history
• Tauranga's Deputy Mayor gives his view
• One News report on the apology
• MTS: Te Kaea's report
• The formal apology
• The previous story
The Old Testament story of Naboth's Vineyard is about a man who refuses to sell his inherited land to the king. So his queen has Naboth stoned, and dogs lick his blood. It's a story missionaries reached for when they tried, and failed, to save the iwi land on which downtown Tauranga is built.
• The General Synod apology to the Tauranga Moana hapu
• Naboth's Vineyard: the Reese report
• The day General Synod said sorry - a report
And you visited me. About 150 well-wishers from nga hau e wha piled into an Auckland rest home yesterday to celebrate a remarkable life in prison ministry.
Archdeacon Tiki Raumati was laid to rest in New Plymouth yesterday. But in death, he continues to challenge us.
• Archdeacon Tikitūterangi Raumati makes powerful gesture in death
• Tiki's journey: Bishop George Connor's eulogy.
• Video: Tiki Raumati buried in Taranaki Cathedral grounds
• "We have such happy memories..."
The following is a notice from Archbishops Don and Philip about the death, this morning, of one of the giants of Te Haahi Mihinare, the Anglican Church in Aotearoa New Zealand.